Saturday, March 27, 2010

Youth Group (pictures soon)

While in Mossville I really wanted to get a youth group together to talk about any pertinent issues in their community. A group of five girls and I got together (with the help of Ashley) to discuss their community. What was evident from the beginning was their emotional and familial connection to Mossville. Never have I seen a community that truly loves each other, and will help their neighbor out at any time of day. I was touched from the first day I met the Mossville residents. The girls however, defined community as what we all would think of, "it takes a village to raise a child, sharing, caring, love". But what I found interesting is the discrepancy between that definition and their definition of the Mossville community. These youth see a problem and can recognize that it is systemic. The community has been silenced and hushed for too long and these youth are not happy watching the elderly folks as they battle their illnesses, or watch as a flare burns in the distance. I only had the opportunity to spend three days with these ladies and it was evident that they are ready for a change and will push for their voices to be heard.
The project I proposed to them was for them to take pictures of their community; to describe Mossville through their pictures. They were extremely happy to do this and want to be involved with the community. The girls ranged in ages from 13-16 and I was a little disappointed we didn't have any boys that wanted to participate. However the pictures turned out great. When I return to Sarah Lawrence the girls and I will decide what pictures to print and how large they'd like them to be. I am extremely proud of the girls for the dedication and motivation and as a result of their efforts this week they have been allowed to post their pictures and descriptions at a local recreational center as well as a local church. This work is not done and I will be in contact with these teens- being a part of their lives for such a short period of time was truly enriching. -- Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment