Thursday, March 25, 2010

How I learned to be a Mossville resident

Like the truly spoiled New Yorker I am, unaccustomed to forgoing latte's, I rolled through McDonalds in search of sugary goodness loaded with caffeine. This is how I learned what its like to live in Mossville firsthand. After two days of drinking the golden arches nectar, I realized that in order to make coffee, you need water. And water here is not good for you. In any way. I became very sick. Not just the malaise I had been feeling from breathing in the air here, which btw, makes Staten Island's ripe aroma seem like the fresh air of Wyoming, but gut wrenching sick. Worse than the illness was the fear and panic that came with it. What did I do to myself? How long would I feel this way? Was it permanent? Did I damage something? It washed over me in waves as I lay in bed miserable. Thanks to the wonders of homeopathy, I am feeling much better, but now I have time to think about the people who live here. I can leave. I will get on a plane on Saturday, and go home. To, while not clean, certainly much better air. And the water is wonderful. Nothing beats NY water. How much we take for granted. I feel connected to the residents here in a rich and meaningful way, not just because for a short time I was able to experience the very real consequences of environmental pollution, but because they live, laugh, love, and continue on despite it. They are strong, resilient, and beautiful. I am honored that they let me share their lives, even for a week. ....Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment