Monday, March 22, 2010

Hazy Lights

Seeing the omnipresence of chemical plants and literally feeling the health effects within hours of arriving in town, I wanted to take time for some brain decongestion. Aside from the murkiness thanks to allergy medicine and Benadryl, the experience thus far has been anything but out of focus. As others have said, the sharp reality of life down here contrasts markedly with the inviting comfort of the people.

When I see this community boxed in by industrial sprawl, I am struck. Struck with the realization that this is capitalism at its worst, when profit margins and corporate wealth outweigh the costs of the lives of residents and workers. There are so many examples of corporate responsibility, just not here. Struck with how we continue to live on the backs of others-- our wealth and growth is a direct result of these policies and practices that poison and pollute.

I can't stop thinking about when I was in the front seat riding with Gloria a few nights ago. We were on the highway, headed back to our beds. As we were around Lake Charles, I remarked, "Look at the city and its lights! Are we headed into downtown?" She chuckled, looked at me, and said, "Josh, that isn't the city. Those are the plants." It finally dawned on me the scope of this project.

The factories at night look like something out of a science fiction novel. A sort of post-apocalyptic nightmare of metal, smoke, and fire illuminated with a hazy yellow glow. I just hope we can all wake up. -- Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment